‘Children have the right to relax and play, and to join in a wide range of cultural, artistic and other recreational activities’ – Article 31 of the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child
Inspired by the idea that cultural and artistic activities are a human right for all children and young people, Theatre31 aims to empower 2000 children and young people across Medway and Sheppey to commission, co-create and engage in performing arts activities by June 2022.
The programme is lead by children and young people, focuses on reaching and engaging those participants who are less likely to take part in other cultural activities, and aims to support children and young people develop confidence, aspirations, motivation, wellbeing and performing arts related knowledge and skills.
All opportunities are free of charge and include:
- new youth theatre bases starting across Medway and Sheppey
- theatre trips for schools and youth organisations
- workshops and masterclasses
- schools performance festivals
- technical training
- local and national performance commissions
- support for schools and young people to achieve Arts Award and Artsmark
- pathways and careers advice for young people
- skills training for professional theatre makers and teaching staff
- the opportunity to join the two Youth Panels who decide what happens next!
Theatre31 also aims to raise awareness about the amazing range of cultural opportunities available for children and young people in the region, developing sustainable channels of communications and connectivity for children, young people, schools, individual artists and creative organisations across Medway and Sheppey.
More information will be available shortly on the Theatre31 website, but if you want to get involved or find out more before that please get in touch.
Theatre31 is funded by Arts Council England and delivered in partnership with Medway Council, the Brook Theatre, the Medway and Sheppey Local Cultural Education Partnerships and Ideastest, and supported by Kent County Council and ROH Bridge.